| [[File:The Opener.jpg|250px]]|
Template:Album ratings The Allmusic review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine awarded the album 4½ stars and stated "The Opener is trombonist Curtis Fuller's first album for Blue Note and it is a thoroughly impressive affair".
- All compositions by Curtis Fuller except as inicated
- "A Lovely Way to Spend an Evening" (Harold Adamson, Jimmy McHugh) - 6:52
- "Hugore" - 6:43
- "Oscalypso" (Oscar Pettiford) - 5:40
- "Here's to My Lady" (Rube Bloom, Johnny Mercer) - 6:43
- "Lizzy's Bounce" - 5:25
- "Soon" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 5:33
- Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on June 16, 1957.
- Curtis Fuller - trombone
- Hank Mobley - tenor saxophone (tracks 2, 3, 5 & 6)
- Bobby Timmons - piano
- Paul Chambers - bass
- Art Taylor - drums