Jazz critics have likened Pete Smyser to such legendary guitarists as Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Jim Hall, and Barney Kessel. Smyser, who lives, teaches, and performs in southeastern Pennsylvania, is listed among greats in Maurice J. Summerfield's book The Jazz Guitar, and was on the Artist Roster of the Pennsylvania Performing Arts on Tour (PennPAT) from 1997 to 2004. He is also an endorser for American Archtop guitars.
Pete Smyser performs solo, duo or ensemble concert performances and educational programs. Pete's concert repertoire is centered around Great American Songbook and jazz standards, classical guitar selections, as well as original compositions.
Smyser has appeared on television and radio shows in addition to countless performances at festivals, clubs, universities, and churches. In addition to these appearances, he has given frequent performances at the top jazz clubs in the greater Philadelphia area. He has shared the bandstand with many notable jazz artists including Warren Vache, Larry McKenna, John Swana, Claude "The Fiddler" Williams, Grant Stewart, Steve Gilmore, and Robert "Bootsie" Barnes.
Pete's latest album, Opportunity Knocks, contains a refreshing blend of jazz standards and original compositions. The ensemble accompanying Pete on the album includes Mike Boone on bass, Byron Landham on drums, as well as several tracks recorded with Philadelphia jazz piano legend Sid Simmons. Karl Stark, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, recently reviewed Pete's latest release, Opportunity Knocks, saying "The mostly trio session with bassist Mike Boone and drummer Byron Landham could stand up to an old Wes Montgomery disc. The swing is deep, the intentions old-school. Smyser's tunes go down easily... The set is highly traditional and worthy of wider recognition." 
|This section requires expansion.|
- Opportunity Knocks
- Pete Smyser - Solo Guitar
- Pete Smyser & Larry McKenna
- The Scene is Clean
- Out of Nowhere
- Hanging by the Chimney
- Review of Pete Smyser & Larry McKenna from Jazzbeat
- Review of The Scene is Clean from CD Baby
- Reviews of The Scene is Clean on Amazon.com
- Review of Pete Smyser & Larry McKenna from CD Baby
- Review of American Archtop Compilation CD
- Pete Smyser's profile on allaboutjazz.com
- ↑ Summerfield, Maurice J. (1998). The Jazz Guitar: Its Evolution, Its Players and Personalities Since 1990 (4th ed. ed.). Newcastle upon Tyne: Ashley Mark. ISBN 1-872639-31-3.
- ↑ "American Archtop Guitars". http://www.americanarchtop.com/. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- ↑ "Philadelphia Inquirer- Arts and Entertainment: New Recordings- 5-10-09". http://www.philly.com/inquirer/entertainment/44584672.html?viewAll=y. Retrieved 2009-06-11. [dead link]