| [[File:Mr. Shing-A-Ling.jpg|250px]]|
The album was awarded 2½ stars in an Allmusic review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine who states "Not quite the full-fledged electric funk workout that was becoming commonplace for old-guard soul-jazz musicians in the late '60s, but not quite the bop-inflected soul-jazz of the early '60s. either, Mr. Shing-A-Ling falls into a netherworld that won't connect either with jazz purists or fans of grooving jazz-funk. When the group does try to get funky on the record, the results just sound lazy... the lack of energy and enthusiasm the group has for the material makes Mr. Shing-A-Ling a bit of a tiring listen".
Track listing Edit
- All compositions by Lou Donaldson except as indicated
- "Ode to Billie Joe" (Bobby Gentry) - 6:33
- "The Humpback" - 5:28
- "The Shadow of Your Smile" (Mandel, Webster) - 6:25
- "Peepin'" (Lonnie Smith) - 8:21
- "The Kid" (Harold Ousley) - 10:59
- Lou Donaldson - alto saxophone
- Blue Mitchell - trumpet (#2-5)
- Lonnie Smith - organ
- Jimmy Ponder - guitar
- Leo Morris - drums
- "Lou Donaldson". www.allaboutjazz.com. http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=2383. Retrieved 2010-06-09.