| [[File:A New Sound A New Star.jpg|250px]]|
A New Sound... A New Star... (subtitled Jimmy Smith at the Organ Vol. 1) is the debut album by American jazz organist Jimmy Smith featuring performances recorded in 1956 and released on the Blue Note label. The album was rereleased on CD combined with Smith's following two LP's A New Sound A New Star: Jimmy Smith at the Organ Volume 2 and The Incredible Jimmy Smith at the Organ.
Template:Album ratings The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 4½ stars and stated "The debut of organist Jimmy Smith on records (he was already 30) was a major event, for he introduced a completely new and very influential style on the organ, one that virtually changed the way the instrument is played".
- All compositions by Jimmy Smith except as indicated
- "The Way You Look Tonight" (Dorothy Fields, Jerome Kern) – 5:04
- "You Get 'Cha" – 4:23
- "Midnight Sun" (Sonny Burke, Lionel Hampton, Johnny Mercer) – 4:26
- "Oh, Lady Be Good!" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 5:49
- "The High and the Mighty" (Dimitri Tiomkin, Ned Washington) – 4:21
- "But Not for Me" (Gershwin, Gershwin) – 4:30
- "The Preacher" (Horace Silver) – 4:35
- "Tenderly" (Walter Gross, Jack Lawrence) – 3:56
- "Joy" (Johann Sebastian Bach) – 3:13
- Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on February 18, 1956